Saturday, February 23, 2008

Living in the UK


I have been living in the south of England for over 15 months now, and I have mixed feelings about this place, like every other place I have lived in. The English culture is ever pervasive, both good and bad aspects of it, unlike Canada. In Canada I never felt Canadian culture hanging in the air, it was as sterile as Hospital ward, culturally that is.
One thing British which I love is Radio 4. Waking up Jim Humphries grilling a politician is ah out of the world, very middle class some of you may snigger. I Love BBC 4 documentaries. The other aspect I love about British are their pubs and Beer, esp. the ales. Horsham, where I live has wonderful micro brewery brewing one of the best range of real ales I have had the fortune of tasting.
I hate the snobbery of the cultured class here, how they look down upon everything which they consider not cultured. The drinking culture among the youth is seen to be believed, they binge of weekend nights and cause huge damage. There are not many negative aspects of British culture.
I have to move to Houston soon, a cultural wasteland, and I will miss all the cultural this great land has to offer.

1 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger Roop Rai said...

I shan't critique! I shan't dock any marks for grammar or inconveniently placed prepositions or misplaced punctuation. I shan't let any negativity surround your re-birth on your blog. I'd just welcome you with a bow, and assure you that I look forward to read more from you. Although short and cumbersome to read at times ;p, I love how each sentence is so full of flavor which hits like that odd mighty flavored chocolate chip every now and then when you eat a choc chip brownie. :) Not to mention the occasional bursts of dough in the accompanying cookie dough ice cream. :PPP u know what i mean. I LOVE YOU!!! 'MUAAAH!! :) welcome back. look forward to see more of your writing (when you are not busy painting or watching movies of course :p).

- your wife :D
r r

 

Post a Comment

<< Home