Monday, September 12, 2005

Train and the cow


I must be around 12 or thirteen years old. It was not even a week since our summer vacation started, my mother got sick of me and my sister, our constant fighting over whose turn is to ride the single bicycle, who gets to sleep near the window, and my sis's constant complaints on myself trying to eavesdrop into her secret gossip with her Friends. "That's it" My mum screamed as I went and complained how my sister added a Palm full of salt into sambar, my favourite dish. "You two are not staying together anymore, I will ask your dad to book your ticket to Hyderabad." "You are not fair" My sister screamed at top of her throat. "You are always partial towards your son", she sobbed. It doesn't really matter that she will be getting a special treatment from both my father and mother in my absence. She will go gold and clothes shopping daily, will get her Friends daily to our home and mum will cook for all of them.

Before I even realised I was bundled in the overnight train to Hyderabad. "Don't cause trouble to your grandmother" My mum said combing my hair on the platform. "I wont" I said escaping from her hands. My dad was busy speaking to the guy who waves the red and green flags at trains. "In couple of minutes" my dad said. I guess it was the train. One of my dads childhood wishes was to work for the Railways and he sometimes when he is in the railway station he forgets that he doesn't work for the railways. "The train is blocked" he said. I looked at him worried, "blocked? Am I not going to Hyderabad?" "It has entered our block, we railways say that as blocked" he picked up my bag. As if the engine took the cue, it entered the station majestically, with a loud horn. Everyone reverently moved back a couple of steps back. There was no question on who was the king there. The engine driver acknowledged with a all knowing wave to the green flag waving guy. He look so in control. "I will be an engine driver" I said under my breath with my mouth agape.

"Its the New WAP class from BHEL" said my father looking with admiration at the engine. The boy in him too was enamoured by this majestic beast. I was interested in his Statistics at all, I ignored his long list of its statistics he was narrating to my mum. All i wanted to do is touch the engine and get into its cabin. But the train stops only a few minutes at Nellore, so my father dragged me near my compartment, which was 3rd from the engine.

There was huge crowd to get into the compartment, a Mum was trying to push in her children through the narrow entrance and at the same time trying not to get her starched cotton sari crumpled, a young couple were being sent off by I guess the girls parents, the girl and her mum were crying, the guy was watching goofy at them and nervously at the signal. A Grandpa was shouting at top of his lungs at the crowd because someone was crushing grandma near the entrance. Somehow I got in without getting crushed or screamed at. I navigated myself towards my berth by squeezing thru the crowd and saw a burly man fighting with a thin lady. I couldn't help smiling, would be a very interesting trip indeed. I saw my mum and dad standing on the platform.

"I will give a grandma a call in the morning" My mum said. "Be careful" my dad sad. "Don't stand near the door" he said by patting my hand. I heard a sharp horn from the engine, my father and my mum waved. The train started moving with a small jerk. People came to see off were running with the train as if trying to stop the train. The young bride was bending her head so much that I was fearing that it would snap at any minute. The fat guy and that thin lady stooped screaming at each other just to allow us to enjoy this departure spectacle.

It was 9:30 pm and I could see the Great Bear in the sky travelling with us. I felt so grown up, travelling all by myself to hyderabad. I looked around I was sharing the block of wight berths with The fat dude and his wife, the thin lady and her two eqaully thin twin daughters of some indistinguishable age, and the new couple who havent looked at anything else except at each others eyes. The fat guy and thin lady were apprently fighting over the luggage space. the fat guy has occupied most of the luggage space under seat with his huge gunny bags full of some sort of produce. I didnt even bother to listen to thier agreement or disagreement. The lights in the comprtment were getting switched off one by one, and everyone in my block alsmost settled down. I got into my top berth and went to bed staright. I then imagined of piloting one of these smart engines.

I suddenly felt a sudden jolt and train slowed down suddenly and then stopped. A small child somewhere in the compartment started crying loudly. I looked into my elotronic watch, it was half past one. I jumped down and wore my shoes and went near the exit of the compartment. The door was locked shut. No one was there, and actually very few pople woke up. I tried opening it but it was too heavy and tight for me. As i was fiddling with it, a man may be in his thirties came by, "What happened to this bloody train" he scremed at me, as if I was responsible for it. I shurgged and said, "I dont know". He then opened the door and jumped down. I didnt know what to do, should I jump down and look at what happened or should I saty back in the safety of the train. I peered out into the dark. I couldnt see anything.

My curiosity got better of me and I jumped out. I landed on the loose ballast and had struggle to keep my balance. I started walking towards the eingine and thankfully it was only a few meters away from my comprtment. As I reached the eingine a crowd of already a dozen people have gathered. I walked past this group and was greeted by a very ghastly sight. It was so gruesome that my stomeched churned instaly and i threw up. "hey kid go back and sleep" someone from the group admonished me. I ignored him. I couldnt take my eyes of this macabre scene.

the enigine apprently hit a cow at the speed of 1230-130 KMPH. The was nothing left of the cow. All i could see is flesh lieing on the track wihich was shining red with blood under the powerfull light of "New WAP from BHEL". The driver and his assistant were examing the einigne with a flashlight. "There must be leak somewhere" said the elder amonst the driver and his assitant, he must be main driver. "I dont see any leak" replied his assitnat from under the eingine". I suddenly realised that I am standing besides this incredible beast. I went near and touched the cold steel body of this eingine. I felt the rumble of many egines running inside it. "Wow what a power" I said to myself. "Found it" , the assistant shouted and the main driver went towrdas his assistant.

to be cont...

2 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Blogger R R said...

still waiting on the continued bit

 
At 5:15 AM, Anonymous vani said...

Good narration :) what about continuation ??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home