Monday, October 31, 2005

A Haloween Story



"I wouldn't go to the hospital myself" I protested. Nothing of that sort even flies close to my mum, she didn't even budge. "Here, the food is packed" she said arranging the food in the wire basket. I could see a steel lunch box, a flask full of warm milk and some oranges and Bananas. "I will drop this food and comeback, I wont stay there for the night" It was whine now, trying to pluck some sympathy strings in her. "Would you leave your Granny alone?" my mum asked using the same technique at me. "You are not a kid anymore, you are fifteen year old MAN" she stressed the word man, trying to make me feel stronger.

My grand mother was diagnosed with some heart ailment and was admitted to the hospital three days ago. She was in a critical state, we almost lost hopes, she fought back and is now recovering. My dad and mum were there for last three days sleeping on the bench outside in the corridor of ICU. My dad was very happy when he announced to all our relief that granny is released from the ICU and now in the observation room. And it's now my duty to go and sleep in the hospital and keep my granny company. I hate going to hospitals; they spook me even in the day time; I cant even imagine sleeping in one for the whole night.

I started cycling towards the hospital singing a cheesy bollywood song, trying to chase away the scary thoughts with my horrible voice. The hospital was a good 15 mins bike ride; I could see the hospital now, evev the silhouette sacres me, I wanted to turn back and go home. The fear of my father and love of my grandmother made me to park my bike and walk up to the ward.

The staircase was dark, I couldn't even see the steps clearly, the crickets were creaking and the bulb was flickering. Holding my heart in my hand I started slowly climbing up the stairs, suddenly i felt warm breath on my shoulder, I almost dropped the basket in my hand and stopped the scream in my mouth and slowly turned around. There was none around. I looked around, I saw nothing, I noticed something white under the stairs, I leaned on the railings for a close look. I was scared shitless, its was dead body covered in white cloth lying on a stretcher. I ran blindly up the stairs as bumping into many walls and almost breaking the flask.

My uncle was sitting besides my granny's bed. He was trying to talk with her. My granny's eyes lit up seeing me; she beckoned me towards her and held my hands. Tears swelled up in my eyes and started rolling down my cheeks. My uncle quickly fed my granny the food i brought. "You can sleep here" he pointed an empty bed by my granny's bed. There were four beds in that room and all were empty. I nodded my head. A burly nurse came in a glass of water and some tablets. She adjusted my grannies bed and made her swallow the tablets. "My nephew will sleep here" my uncle told the nurse. She brusquely nodded, her face set stiff, I guess for the lack of laughter.

My uncle left leaving me alone with my Granny, I sat besides her holding her hand until she drifted into sleep. I slowly freed my hand, cover her with a sheet and tiptoed to the only window in that room. The ceiling fan was making a constant rhythmic creaking noise, I could hear the crickets in the staircase, as soon as I thought of staircase, i remembered of the dead body lying under it. My heart started beating faster and I started sweating. I wanted to get under the my bed sheet in my room. The room started feeling more and more creepier.

I reluctantly switched off the big light and switched on the night bulb. I then went slowly sat on the bed besides my granny's bed. I could hear her rhythmic breathing, which sounded very reassuring. I slowly closed my eyes and the corpse under the white sheet was before my eyes, startled I opened my eyes. "Who are you" I almost screamed. I saw a lady trying to sleep on a bed on the other side of my grandmothers bed. "This is my bed" she said softly "whats wrong with you " she asked me "you look very young" she sighed with pain. "I am her grandson" I pointed at my grandmother "I am spending this night here" I said.

She was quite for a while. "Come and sit here" she patted on her bed, "I am not able to see you clearly". I went closer, her age was around the age of my grandmother and she looked much paler and eyes were very dull. "Come sit" she said patting the bed again. "I have a grand son too" she said holding my hand. A sudden shill ran through my hand; her hand was very cold. "He is in America, he doesn't have time to see his grandmother" she sighed again. "Are you in pain?" I asked her. "No not anymore" she said smiling. "Whats wrong with you?" an other question. "My heart enlarged" she said making a sign by moving away her arms away from chest. "You should sleep" I said. she smiled in return.

I was getting nervous and my hand stated quivering. "Are you scared, son" she asked by patting my hair. "Yes" I said. "Come lets go to you bed, I will tuck you in", she said. I walked to my bed and she tucked me in. She then sat by my side and slowly stoked my hair. She then started singing a hymn to lord Ganesha in a melodious voice. I don't know when I drifted to sleep.

It was really bright when I woke up; a new nurse was talking to my grandmother. I smiled at both of them. I went near my granny and held her hand. "Did you sleep well?" my granny asked me softly. "Yes" I said and suddenly I remembered about the elderly lady who put me to sleep. "She put me to sleep" I said pointing to that lady's bed. "Who" both my granny and nurse asked looking around the room. "The lady who was on that bed" I pointed to that bed again. The colour drained out of nurse's face. "Are you joking?" she asked. "No" I said, "She is about my grandmother's age and her heart is enlarged" I tried to help her memory. Both of them were staring at me as if they are looking at some strange creature. "She even told me that her grandson in America doesn't have time to visit her". The nurse beacame paler, she walked away from the room silently and my grandma started crying.

My dad and mum came along with my sister. "The lady who was in this bed, who died yesterday morning, her family just came from America." My dad sighed and I saw tears rolling down his eyes. "Apparently they didn't know which hospital she was admitted and were searching all the hospitals it seems, poor lady, died a loner" he said with a loud sigh.

My knees felt weak and I collapsed on the floor.

2 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is really good!!!

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger R R said...

omg now i am even more scared to go to hospitals. heh this could use some editing and restructuring but i like the flow of it. :)

roop

ps: i'll email you soon enough heh! hope yer conference went well. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home