Saturday, January 15, 2005

Why do Women like shopping so much? That was the question myself and Erin, my roommate were pondering upon over couple of beers. We have two theories why the fairer sex enjoy so much in those malls. Market Mall, one of the bigger malls in advertises with women camping out in the mall's parking lot. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw womencamping out just because a new shop is opening the next morning. Ionce stood in line for tickets for Cherenjeevi's (My favorite Teluguhero) when I was growing up in India. Well, I am digressing.
The two theories we have are
1. The empowerment theory-(Mine)
Have you ever seen a bunch a women going around a mall looking around for deals? You could feel literally the sense of empowerment. As soon as they enter 'GAP' they get mesmerised by the choices. You can see the glee in their eyes as they feel good about themselves for choosing the blue sweater over the green top and saving 5% in the deal. It's all about being in control which they 'perceive' they are not in this big bad male world. The mall is their little refuge.
2. The gatherer theory-Erin's
This theory is by some evolutionary biologists not really Erin's. According to this theory women have evolved to gather berries and nuts when men went out to hunt big wooly mammoths. So that's evolution in action, women need not scour around for ripe berries and nuts anymore so they do it with passion for those 'cute shoes.

Choose your favorite theory and let me know what to you think which one these theories is more plausible. One of my friends the reason most probably is the combination of both of the above theories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home