Thursday, June 08, 2006

Lonely at the top


“Elitism - It's lonely at the top. But it's comforting to look down upon everyone at the bottom.”

-Larry Kersten quotes (American Sociologist and Author. )

I got an email with this very heading, "lonely at the top" from a very good friend asking me to work with him again, as I used to work with him a lot. He is the president of a non-profit organization doing awesome work.

I was shocked by the subject line, well, if he wants me work with him again, why is he gloating that he is at the top and is lonely? Or does he want me to join at the top as it's getting lonely there, but isn't there place for one at the top? If there was room for more than one, it's not "the top" any more, isn't it?

May be, he didn't know the context and he was using it, that doesn't bode well for him too. I always associated the phrase "lonely at the top" as being elitist. I have never associated him with being elitist, he is a very nice person, a very down to earth.

I think he just doesn't know how much baggage this phrase carries around. I were you, my lonely friend, I would let my cronies crow how I am lonely at the top!

I am sure your organization wouldn't end up like this with you at the top, you know I am joking.

1 Comments:

At 11:56 PM, Blogger R R said...

not "at"
the word is "on"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home