Monday, February 14, 2005

On Valentine's Day
Do we really need a day to express our love? Do we need a big corporation to remind us to kiss our significant other ? Is our society so marketed that we need a day for love?
I know it has become a ritual for intellectuals to bash up Valentine's day on every 14th of Feb, so I wouldn't criticize the stupidity of this day but the state of our society. Even yours truly was swept up by this tide of Valentines day. I remember buying crap for this girl who never even smelled those flowers. Such a waste of time and feelings, no sir, I am not bitter.
When you are in love, the dark sky looks blue, the rotten flowers smell sweet, and the stagnant time flows. This what the big corporations want you to feel! Love makes you to do stupid stuff, and makes you buy ridiculous things.
Why are flowers so expensive today ? Why do restaurants and bars become almost impossible to get into? Why? Does it mean that can you buy love with money? May be that they are selling love in Aisle 3 of your local Hallmark today, haven't been shopping there lately, so I don't know.
I have an honest question, Do women really want men to spend money on them on Valentines day? I know couple of girls really well and one of them is my sister whom I grew up with for atleast 20 years. She will hate when anyone spends money for the sake of such a frivolous matter like Valentines day. With this small test sample, I would dare conclude that only very shallow people (see I didn't say girls) fall for this trick of marketing. Anyone with a mind of their own would see through this day's foolish logic ( I like this phrase, foolish logic).
Having said thus, I have a beef with Indian way of expressing love, we never do it. In fact there is a taboo on showing affection, my dad and mom never showed their affection by words or deeds. Just toiled away their life for a better life for me and my sister. That's their way of showing love. I know its shallow to keep on expressing ones love at every possible moment, but once in a while a vocal expression would cool down frayed nerves.
There is famous couplet in Urdu, roughly translated it says "The love is not expressed in the language of words but spoken in the language of eyes".
Love today, Love tomorrow and Love eternal. Peace.

1 Comments:

At 2:44 AM, Blogger Suchin Kerlapur said...

great!! well said pavan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home