Friday, January 28, 2005

My friend came from India yesterday. He was talking about the changes he saw there since the last time he was there two years ago. The first thing he noticed is the number of cell phones in smaller cities. This is one change I am really proud of, telephone is no more a symbol of higher status. It was when I was growing up. I remember only couple of my friends had telephones in my school.

This is truly a change for good.

The next change I would look forward too is the spread of internet in India. I was reading an editorial in Hindu, a very well read English paper in India, where they were discussing how much we need internet percolation. The only way anyone could log in right now in India is through dial up. Yikes! that is painfully and its so freaking expensive as your airtime in landline is billed. Why cant the telecommunication companies make high speed internet cheap? That would go along way in crumbling the information divide. We could develop systems in local languages. This could go a long way in combating corruption, and would be a big help to primary education.

that's the change I want this year, lets hope we realize this.

The other thing that got me disturbed is, the number of lewd dances and programs on prime time TV. I am not exactly your text book conservative. I am against rules and regulation on what people should and shouldn't. But teen girls dancing around deliberately showing their underwears is not exactly I want to see on prime time TV. He was saying that a slow romantic song is shot in bed room with lewd scenes. Can't it be shot in beach showing both of the walking hand in hand? Whom am I question the artists choice? No one, but the answer is "I would stoop to any level to sell my wares" Is the price the end of all?

I don't know, I guess there will be always sellers as long as there are buyers. We as a society has always been deprived of sex. There is so much smut out there now, that we are literally stuffing ourselves silly with it. Hopefully we will see how stupid this is and we may change.

Hope my friend, hope eternal!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home