Monday, February 28, 2005

Euthanasia
Million Dollar Baby, The Oscar winning flick by Clint Eastwood is taking in a lot of flak from Right wing moral brigade for supporting the mercy killing, euthanasia. Moral brigade hates taking life and they consider life to be the Gift of God and one doesn't have the right to take it.

They use the same logic to oppose abortions and stem cell research. Is Mercy killing so bad? Imagine that you are in severe pain and the pain need to be drenched in barrel full of pain killers and there is no hope for you to be cured fully. What would you prefer to do? Live this life full of misery or end this misery with dignity?

If I were ever to be in the above situation, I would prefer to die. Then comes the moral question who decides the time to die? Can a doctor decide whether I could live or not? Is it only me and myself who can decide to end my life? If yes, then is committing suicide ethical? Lots of ethical questions come up when the matter is of life and Death and the religion is not far behind.

There is an interesting legal battle going on in Florida. This is the case of Terry Schiavo, she has been in vegetative state on a hospital bed for over fifteen years. Her husband wants to end this misery for her and her parents wants her to keep alive. Florida Court has ordered the food pipe to be removed but Jeb Bush, a conservative Christian, governor of Florida and brother of president Bush stepped in and stopped the food pipe removal.



Why do these Christians who love life so much do cheer for war? Aren't Afghanistan's babies not children of God? Aren't Iraqi girls sleeping in their houses reduced to rubble when Daisy cutters dropped on them, dear to God? Is this typical my God is better than your God argument? Whenever there is religion there is hypocrisy.

What do I think? I am for euthanasia. If the medical opinion says that there is no way Terri or any other would recover and would continue to suffer terrible pain, if the family wants, they should be allowed to let her go.

What if she doesn't want to die and couldn't speak? I don't know. I guess no one knows the answer. The answer is to make a will and state explicitly what your intenstions are. My will would state "Even if there is any doubt that I wouldnt recover from the coma, take my feeding tube off and put the Beer tube in".


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home