Thursday, March 24, 2005

We sappy humans...


This Terri Schiavo's melodrama on TV and every where has made me particularly aware how sentimental we are as a species. We cant really stop being sympathetic towards a fellow human being suffering.

Particularly me, show me someone suffering, I will melt. I know Letting Terri go is the right thing, when they arrested those little kids bringing water to Terri,I couldn't stop feeling bad for her. I am truly sorry for her parents. Letting go someone one truly loves is the toughest thing.

One of the earliest acts of sympathy I witnessed as a small kid I still remember happened on a bus. I was traveling somewhere with my father mother and my little sister on a bus. The conductor was collecting money for the tickets. There was this Muslim lady wearing a Burqa with a sad face and four kids sitting at the back of the bus. The smallest one was less than an year old and was constantly crying. The other three kids were constantly pestering her food. The way they all dressed made me realize that they are very poor.

The conductor reached them and was speaking to them, suddenly I heard a whistle and the driver stopped the bus. My father stood up and asked the conductor "what's the matter?" The conductor said that the Muslim lady has almost Rs.50 less than what she needs to travel and they have to get down from the bus. The only problem is the bus is now traveling through a desolate stretch of road. My father immediately said that he will pay the rest and I saw tears in the eyes of the Lady. That act of my father left a lasting impression on me.

As I was talking about earlier, letting go loved ones is tough, My father lost his father to Cancer, my father was devastated looking at his father who was loosing battle to Cancer. I think he made the decision to let him go. A strong man I would say.

For me the true test of love is whether you can let go or not, I don't know what happens after death, and I bet anyone would know too, but I would hazard a guess that Terri would be better anywhere than being in the vegetative state.

All I hope is she wouldn't be used a pawn in the grand scheme of things, and she would end her life peacefully

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home