Monday, March 14, 2005

Musings in a Grocery Store....

I was in a grocery store yesterday late evening, trying to remember how much milk is left in the fridge. As Seinfeild said once, buying milk is one of the toughest balancing acts one performs in a Grocery store, If you don't have enough milk and you don't buy, you will have no milk for the whole week! If you have enough and buy more and you will stuck with drinking milk instead of water. I lucked out, I bought milk and I didn't have any, no more milk gluttony for me this week.

While I was browsing through the stacks of food, I was struck by the choice of foods the shoppers in North America are blessed with. While I was growing up in India, we never had any choice. For a while, essential items such as rice, wheat and sugar were rationed. While I was contemplating and debating on buying Cheetos over Lays, a baby in Sudan must be crying on the dry breast of her mother for the lack of a drop of a milk. Not to sentimental or something, isn't this contrast amazing? While the richest countries main problem is obesity, the poorer countries' problem is mal-nutrition?

The store ran out of bananas and I am a Banana junkie, I have to have my daily dose of a sweet Banana. I searched desperately for some bananas, I didn't find any. My palms started sweating, "is this really happening" I questioned myself looking around. I found the store clerk in a desolated aisle arranging something, as if nothing happened. I quietly approached him. "cough cough" I coughed, he looked around "May I help you"? "Any more of them left?" I asked him in hushed tone. He had a puzzled look for a second and then recovered. "No all sold out" he said sympathetically. The last batch were sold out half an hour ago, he said, "we had almost a riot". I walked away in dejection. So many freaking junkies in this freaking city!

For all those banana junkies, never go on a Sunday night to a grocery night, go on a Friday evening and get your fill for the whole week, that's when then the freshest stocks come! You can thank me, I will be here all week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home